The Bottom Line
- ISMail supports multiple domains
- Good anti-spam features
- Easy to set up and use
- ISMail lacks support for TLS/SSL connections
- No user quotas, advanced account configuration
- Lacks an LDAP server
- ISMail serves POP, SMTP and IMAP.
- ISMail supports multiple domains.
- Anti-spam features include POP Before SMTP, trusted IP addresses and support for blackhole lists.
- Additionally, content filters can remove certain messages globally, per domain, or per user.
- ISMail includes an interface to external virus scanners.
- Plug-in provides web-based account access for users.
- ISMail keeps detailed logs and can be administered remotely.
- ISMail supports Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP.
Guide Review - ISMail 1.4.3 - Mail Server
Of course, this simplicity stems in part from the absence of more advanced features. But all the essential functionality is there, and important anti-spam measures, too.
It's great that access can be controlled by IP address, but this feature would be even more useful if it could be set individually for the protocols. A plug-in enables Web-based account access, and the option to include external virus filters completes the ISMail package.
Unfortunately, ISMail does not support secure TLS/SSL connections.