The Bottom Line
- AK-Mail is a small and efficient email program
- Supports message encryption and helps you manage mail with powerful filters and templates
- You can insert text modules via keyboard shortcut
- AK-Mail's editing could be improved
- Only POP accounts can be accessed
- AK-Mail does not offer smart folders
- AK-Mail manages multiple POP email accounts.
- Supports HTML formatting, but AK-Mail prevents the execution of scripts and dangerous attachments.
- AK-Mail has built-in support for PGP public key encryption and an interface to external encryption.
- Powerful filters and templates/phrases system, can automatically send personalized canned replies.
- Using keyboard shortcuts, you can insert often used pieces of text fast.
- In AK-Mail, a special signature can be assigned to each address book contact.
- Old emails can be archived or backed up and restored easily.
- AK-Mail supports Windows 2000/3/XP.
Guide Review - AK-Mail 4.01 - Email Program
AK-Mail boasts a nice set of features while staying simple and fast. Message templates, very powerful filters and keyboard shortcuts that let you insert oft-used phrases swiftly help with organizing and managing mail. Unfortunately, the solid search abilities cannot be used to set up smart folders that would automatically aggregate matching emails.
AK-Mail's handling of HTML as well as plain text in the message editor could use improvements, too. For an email program this powerful, it is also a shame AK-Mail does not support IMAP accounts.
Apart from these shortcoming that for many will be barely noticeable or tolerable, AK-Mail is a complete and competent, proper and powerful email companion.