The Bottom Line
SendDirect is no longer available.
- SendDirect uses the Outlook
- Delivers flexibly personalized messages
- Maintains templates and a log
- SendDirect lacks internal message delivery
- Evokes endless Outlook security warnings
- No custom tags, can't write back to lists
- Send personalized email messages through Outlook with SendDirect.
- Supports mail merging with 18 tags and default values.
- SendDirect messages are composed and sent in Outlook.
- Takes advantage of the Outlook address book and email formatting capabilities.
- SendDirect can keep a log and copies of outgoing messages.
- Includes a template system for frequently used newsletter boilerplates.
- SendDirect supports Windows 98/ME/NT/2000/XP and Outlook 2000/2002.
Guide Review - SendDirect 2.1 - Email Marketing Software
SendDirect takes the approach of integration with Outlook instead. You compose your message in Outlook, address it using the Outlook address book, but instead of writing "Dear Jane" you write "Dear [FirstName]", for example. SendDirect then merges the message with your address book before delivery.
Unfortunately, mail merging is limited to the name and email address of recipients, message delivery is left to Outlook, which may not be the most efficient option, and the whole process is still a bit inflexible. This makes SendDirect not yet ready for larger mailings.