The Bottom Line
- Wildgrape NewsDesk integrates with NewsIsFree
- Lets you organize feeds in folders, search easily
- Headlines can be browsed from system tray icon
- Wildgrape NewsDesk lacks virtual folders
- Doesn't show article popularity, relationships
- Can't archive or purge old news automatically
- Wildgrape NewsDesk is a RSS feed aggregator and news reader.
- Integration with NewsIsFree makes adding channels easy (NewsDesk reads all other feeds, too).
- RSS feeds can be organized in channels with Wildgrape NewsDesk.
- NewsDesk lets you search articles by keyword and filter them by age and read/unread status.
- NewsDesk's system tray icon lets you browse news headlines and open articles directly.
- Wildgrape NewsDesk lets you mail articles directly using a built-in message editor.
- Wildgrape NewsDesk supports Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/3/XP and requires .NET framework.
Guide Review - Wildgrape NewsDesk 1.1 - RSS News Feed Reader
Then there is the highly useful system tray icon that gives a concise display of the latest headlines per feed and lets you go to the articles directly. The is NewsDesk's main competitive advantage, but fast keyword searches and age filters are nice as well, as is NewsIsFree integration for finding feeds.
NewsDesk is not as speedy to navigate as SharpReader, though, and you'll also miss threading, RSS search integration and other advanced features that make organizing news as easy as reading them is in NewsDesk.