The Bottom Line
- BlogMatrix Jäger lets you follow news in a highly efficient manner
- Jäger searches its database, the web and news sites, lets you watch posts for keywords
- BlogMatrix Jäger synchronizes multiple copies
- BlogMatrix Jäger sports a somewhat non-standard interface that may not match everone's taste
- Merely highlighting keyword watches, BlogMatrix lacks real smart searches or virtual folders
- BlogMatrix Jäger does not put news in context and cannot archive old items
- BlogMatrix Jäger is a browser for RSS feeds and headlines extracted from web sites.
- Subscriptions and news items can be synchronized automatically via FTP.
- BlogMatrix Jäger comes with a number of suggested feeds and supports drag-and-drop subscription.
- Jäger displays headlines concisely in its main window, full items in your default browser.
- You can search all offline content as well as the web and news search engines in one swoop.
- BlogMatrix Jäger can also watch incoming news for keywords and highlight matching items with color.
- Support for Podcasting lets you subscribe to audio feeds and have items downloaded automatically.
- You can extend BlogMatrix Jäger with plug-ins written in Python.
- BlogMatrix Jäger supports Windows ME/2000/3/XP and Mac OS X 10.3.
Guide Review - BlogMatrix Jäger 1.6.10 - RSS News Feed Reader
BlogMatrix Jäger concentrates on the essential task: it displays the latest headlines fast, ready to get the full story on the web. It's a lot faster than visiting the individual news sites and blogs to check for new stories manually, and for many BlogMatrix Jäger is probably also faster than other RSS feed readers.
It's nice that BlogMatrix Jäger does not have to rely on sites providing XML feeds but can parse crude HTML for headlines as well, and it's particularly nice that you can have multiple BlogMatrix Jäger installations automatically synchronize subscriptions and news items with each other.
It's easy to sort your subscriptions in categories or search across all your feeds (and include web sites as well as major news sites in one swoop as well), but if you like to have your news pre-filtered and pre-sorted, BlogMatrix Jäger may not be for you. You can tell Jäger to look for certain keywords, but the only action it can take is highlight matching items, not aggregate them.
What BlogMatrix Jäger can aggregate, though, are podcasts, blogs that send audio content. Incoming files are automatically downloaded and added to your media player's playlist.