1. Computing

Apples were popular in the Middle Ages — not only as food. The after-dinner apple was also a toothbrush and cleaned molars and massaged gums. (Of course, it can still do that today, best followed by a glass of water.)
Gmail's filters are great — not only for sorting your mail. The proper rule can also clean your Inbox of, say, unwanted forwards. Maybe it massages the messages, too:
›› Are you getting nothing but jokes you did not ask for and amazing stories you don't read from a particular sender? Here's how to block them in Gmail and have all their mail sent right to the "Trash" folder, or at least out of the way for later review.
Comments
August 15, 2011 at 7:43 pm
(1) Rich says:

I will have to resort to the filter, but I really wanted to set a “block” that would let the person know they were being blocked instead of just trashing all the unwanted e-mail.

September 13, 2011 at 11:00 pm
(2) Charles says:

Yes, me too. I don’t want to have to close my 6 year old gmail account – I just really need to block a certain sender.

September 21, 2011 at 7:15 pm
(3) dem says:

Thats exaclty what I wanna do. Block someone instead of deleting my old Gmail account!

September 24, 2011 at 7:31 am
(4) keithy397 says:

I agree with Rich, Charles & dem, the ability to block and let them know they’re blocked is the whole point of blocking senders surely, not just deleting the message.

It has crossed my mind to set up a filter with a canned response like “Ha, I know you’re spamming me but I don’t care because I’m never going to read your rubbish you hateful little sh1te”

btw, your message has just been binned unread!!

Any thoughts?

September 26, 2011 at 9:37 am
(5) Salim says:

I agree with all of you and I also want to block and let the person know that his address has been blocked. Surprised that no one knows how to block a sender in gmail while it is quite simple in hotmail.

October 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm
(6) jo says:

Me too. I need it badly now , I need the sender to be aware da email has been deleted instead of sending it to trash. if gmail couldnt provide such i will re-consider to use gmail as my primary email henceforth.

it’s user’s right to decide whether they would like to either BLOCK or Send it to Trash, i don’t see any problem by providing user such an option. I hope someone tell me what should i do, or how should i write in to gmail. urgent

thanks

December 2, 2011 at 11:51 am
(7) anonymous says:

For those of you who applied filters as described in the article:

Although you cannot block emails from a particular address, you can create the illusion that you have done so, or at least make the sender aware that you do not want to hear from them. Here is how:

1. In your gmail account, go into “settings”, & then into “Labs”.

2. In the list under “Labs”, you will see an item named “Canned Responses”. Enable it. Save your changes & return to your inbox.

3. Go to “Compose mail” as if you were going to write an email.

4. You will notice that a new option has been added (next to “Attach a file” and “Invitation”): “Canned responses”. Click on it; you will be prompted to create a new canned response.

5. Write your desired canned response (something along the lines of “Error – Referenced message has been rejected by the sender” usually works). Save it. If you like, you can make multiple responses for different purposes.

6. Click on “Create a filter” again, but this time, instead of filling in the fields, click on “Show current filters”.

7. Select “Edit” beside the filters you just applied.

8. The first page requests sender information, etc. Click “Next”.

9. You will now see a list of available filters, including “Canned responses”. Check the box next to “Canned responses” & select the desired canned response (if you created more than one canned response).

10. Save your changes.

That’s it! Now, whenever the pesky person emails you, they will receive a (fake) error response.

December 3, 2011 at 3:52 am
(8) cheron says:

Even with the filter, everytime i see the emails when I empty the trash I get sooo super annoyed with this pesky friend..coz she has been emailing me against my wishes the past few mths. If only there was a function – Once IN immediately vanish, without having to appear in trash. I don’t even want to think of the person.its actually not the emails itself, the underlying is the deliberate invasion of personal space by the other party which i am sure is what annoys people.

thanks for your tip on canned responses.
I will try the canned responses! Account error – your email has been obstructed and will never be read.

February 9, 2012 at 4:51 pm
(9) Catherine says:

I agreed with all of you !! How can’t we BLOCK mails on gmail from senders we don’t want to hear about ???
I could do it in Yahoo..So ???? if somebody has an answer please !!

February 25, 2012 at 3:58 am
(10) Dan says:

I asked to BLOCK an account, Hellooooo BLOCK means to NEVER SEE. To FILTER means I have to LOOK AT IT in the trash folder BEFORE DELETE.

February 25, 2012 at 3:59 am
(11) Dan says:

I asked how to BLOCK an account- not FILTER IT. Don’t you KNOW the difference? With block I DO NOT HAVE TO VIEW THE EMAIL with filter I have to view it in TRASH- I already KNOW HOW to FILTER- I was looking how to BLOCK.

November 3, 2013 at 3:23 am
(12) Arlene says:

I used to create filters too. But I realized that it takes me so much time especially when I am busy. Fortunately, a friend of mine suggested me to install an extension called Block Sender. In just one click, it made my inbox spam-free. I hope this helps.